apostilles for Vietnam Work Permit

by Shaya

Good morning,

I am looking into teaching ESL in Vietnam. I am wondering if you could tell me if I need to get a visa before I go, or can it be done there in the country.

I was also wondering if anyone there knows if I am required to get an 'apostille' on my college diploma and transcripts, in order to get a work permit to teach ESL in Vietnam.

I have gotten some conflicting reports from folks...one person said the US consulate there in Vietnam could 'notarise' these documents, but the US Dept of state web site says they DON'T provide this service.

I am in a bit of a quandary because the college I attended is in California, and I now live in Missouri.

I was told I could get a notary public here in Missouri to notarize a copy of my diploma/transcript, and then get an apostille from the Missouri Dept of State.

The Missouri Dept of State has a policy that they will not issue apostilles for colleges outside Missouri. I am still trying to figure out if I can get an apostille from CA long-distance.

If it is not needed, that would be a relief.

Thank you very much!

Comments for apostilles for Vietnam Work Permit

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 17, 2015
Apostille for Vietnam Work Permit
by: Philip

As of Februray 7th/2015. You must get a visa OUTSIDE of Vietnam in order to enter the country. There are no visas available at the border. The maximum duration for Visas to Vietnam is 3 months.

If you intend to apply for a work permit, then you can stay indefinitely (Or until your school stops sponsoring you).

If you do not have the Requirements for a Work Permit (Bachelors Degree, TEFL or CELTA, and criminal record background check) then you should see our page on Getting a Work Permit in Vietnam.

An "apostille" is a form of authentication issued to documents for use in countries that participate in the Hague Convention of 1961. Vietnam does not.

The US Embassy in Vietnam does not advertise this service but they do provide it. That means there is a fee per document page and it is not cheap. (Maybe that's why they don't "Provide" this service.

Get your 3 month visa, get to Vietnam and apply to every school once in Country. If they want to hire you, they will find a way around everything for you. My school does and so it does for everyone I know, Degree or no Degree.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Work Permit Vietnam.

subscribe to our free monthly newsletter

The Most Recent Articles

  1. A Phnom Penh Cambodia Tour Guide to all that Makes This City Unique

    Jun 04, 20 04:09 AM

    The attraction to Phnom Penh has always been the freedom, the 50 cent beers, the warm weather, the beaches and the low cost of living

    Continue Reading

  2. Every Cambodia Embassy on the Planet with Location and Contact Info

    May 29, 20 11:07 PM

    The location and contact information for every Cambodia Embassy or Consulate on The Planet

    Continue Reading

  3. The Location of Every Vietnam Embassy Worldwide with Contact Info

    May 28, 20 10:38 PM

    A List of each Vietnam Embassy in the World and How to contact them

    Continue Reading

  4. The Cu Chi Tunnels and the 'Tunnels Rats'

    May 28, 20 08:22 PM

    We visit the Cu Chi Tunnels, just outside Saigon, to marvel at the engineered home to the Viet Cong during the Vietnam war

    Continue Reading

  5. The Best Vietnam Beaches known to Humans

    May 17, 20 03:29 PM

    Many Vietnam Beaches are fishing villages. We visit every beach from South to North Vietnam

    Continue Reading

  6. The Vietnam Train Stations and the Vietnam Train Schedules

    May 17, 20 04:55 AM

    Vietnam Train Stations; their locations, and their schedules

    Continue Reading

  7. The Most Complete Vietnam Travel Guide on the Web

    May 16, 20 04:17 PM

    Our Vietnam travel page offers more insider secrets than anywhere else with regular updates for people planning to visit and those planning to live there

    Continue Reading

  8. Victory Beach in Sihanoukville, Cambodia is a Good Choice

    May 16, 20 11:59 AM

    Victory Beach does not have the most stunning beaches or Waters, but it is a Gem of Variety and Peace of Mind

    Continue Reading

  9. How Big is Angkor Wat Gets Answered

    May 10, 20 12:00 PM

    How big is Angkor Wat is a good question with an answer that will shock you

    Continue Reading

  10. The Shanghai Subway and Shanghai Metro System

    May 09, 20 10:48 AM

    The Shanghai Subway system is the only way to get around Shanghai

    Continue Reading