Personal Income Tax Vietnam

by Ha Ly
(Ho Chi Minh City)

The Government will ask you to pay personal income tax when you live and work in Vietnam.

Yourself or an accountant will be responsible for the registration of your personal income tax code. The required documents are the inclusive forms as follows:

  • - Form no.: 01/K-TNCN enclosure of Circular no. 84/2008/TT-BTC dated 30/9/2008 of the Ministry of Finance

  • - Form no.: 02b/TNTX

  • - Form no.: 07/KK -TNCN enclosure of Circular no. 20/2010/TT-BTC dated 05/02/2010 of the Ministry of Finance

If you live in Vietnam for less than 183 days a year, your payable personal income tax will be: (your gross income earned in Vietnam) x20%.

Example: If your gross income earned in Vietnam = one hundred million Vietnamese Dong a year then your payable personal income tax will be twenty million Vietnamese dong / year.

If you live in Vietnam for more than 183 days a year, your personal income tax will be counted as follows:


Annex no.: 02/PL-TNCN enclosure of Circular no. 84/2008/TT-BTC dated 30/9/2008 of the Ministry of Finance for regular income
Unit currency: Million Vietnamese dong
Taxable income / month: TI/M
Payable personal income tax/month: PPIT/M

GradeTI/MTax RatePPIT/M
1:TI/M < 55%5%   of TI/M
25 < TI/M < 1010%10% of TI/M - 0,25
310 < TI/M < 1815%15% of TI/M - 0,75
418 < TI/M < 3220%20% TI/M - 1,65
532 < TI/M < 5225%25% TI/M - 3,25
652 < TI/M < 8030%30 % TI/M - 5,85
7TI/M > 8035% 35% TI/M - 9,85

Example: Gross personal income for Mr. ABC is 56 million Vietnamese dongs, he has three dependant (wife and two children), every month he must pay monthly personal income tax is 8.55 million Vietnamese dongs.

The authorities charge you for your personal income tax based on the labor contract, so if you have a low salary, you save money!

I work for law firm named INVESTCONSULT GROUP - Southern Region Office.

My Service Fees:
$300USD / Work Permit.
$300USD / Temporary Resident Card.
/ Dependant's Temporary Resident Card.

The above fees include a 10% VAT, the fees paid to the third parties / official such as the fees for obtaining the work permit and residence card, fees for placing announcement on the newspaper for recruitment, fees for legalization, notarization and translation of required documents.

Should you need more information or have any inquires thereof, kindly please contact me at

Ms. Ha Ly (Full name: Do Thi Ha Ly)
Email: /
Cell phone: +84938285828
Telephone: +84839303197 (ext 128)


Reply from

This girl is selling her services. I don't know her nor have I ever met her so, as usual in Vietnam, if you are going to get an accountant to do the legwork for your work permit then please shop around using this girl's price quotes as a guideline.

It took a lot of editing to get this post into a readable format. It is useful information because it gives you the personal income tax levels for Vietnam directly from the horse's mouth (Government).

I paid 20% tax on the 30,000,000 Dong I earned each month, even though I had no work permit. The best way around tax is to work at 3 or more schools so that individually, your salary is low but added together, it is a lot.

Make sure the company you work for issues you a thin, red color tax receipt each month for the previous months tax you paid. If they don't, then you have no protection should the police enter your place of work and demand to see a work permit.

This happened to me once. I told them my work permit for Vietnam was 'In Process' and then showed them that I had been paying taxes with the red tax receipts as proof.

They seemed satisfied with that. So, save your tax receipts and demand them every month.

Good Luck to all of you,


Comments for Personal Income Tax Vietnam

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 20, 2015
by: Anonymous

You always write about current situations your analysis is always unbiased and very factual.Thank you for sharing this beautiful information with us.

Oct 09, 2010
More Vietnam Tax information
by: Anonymous

Actually the 20% of income that Mr. Philip paid is the ratio to be applied to people who has income in Vietnam but he/she did not live in Vietnam for 183 days a year or more!


Reply from

Thank you for that. Correct you are and I hope people find it helpful.

I am sorry to hear that you are having to pay any tax at all, though.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Work Permit Vietnam.