Return to US for Criminal Record Check/ Work Permit

by Lan Kai

Quite a lot of the information here, I assume is not correct.

U.S. Citizens don't need to fly back to the USA to get Criminal Background checks, you can get one from your local police station or even from the FBI, a National check all by mail.

Please be skeptical and don't believe all you read.


Reply from

You assume wrongly. Many of my friends have had to return to the US to get their final Background check.

This will continue to happen, although Vietnam has really pulled back and relaxed their visa requirements.

I lived in Vietnam for nearly 4 years. No requirements have been added or removed from the work permit registry at the time that this article was written.

The process has been stream-lined so that many people need not return to the US.

We try to update as often as we can, but we missed some changes here, and, for some, this is good news. But, In Vietnam not all men are equal

Check out this statement issued by

"LOCAL POLICE CHECK: Go to your local police department where you reside or last resided in the United States, request that the police conduct a local or state criminal records search and provide you with a document reflecting that there is no history of a criminal record. Local police departments may require your personal appearance in order to conduct the search.

You should determine whether the country you intend to use the records check requires that it be authenticated."

Vietnam requires authentication ...Usually ... because the top schools often buy off officials to let it slide. Many work "Under the table". If caught working without a permit, the penalties are quite high.

And the school suddenly does not remember your circumstance.

Things have simply been streamlined since this article was written and you forget that the situation varies between schools.

But the streamlining is real. You can make an application online, as long as the school/work does not require authentication.

You must also remember that Many teachers are not fully qualified for the work permit, but schools still employ them. If you are fully certified with a university degree, a CELTA and some experience, you will be treated royally.

The schools will often get/purchase the work permit for you.

YES. Question all you read, but learn that some sites consistently tell the truth and should be able to earn trust.

But your point helped us to re-double out efforts. Thank you.


Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Teaching English in Vietnam.

subscribe to our free monthly newsletter

The Most Recent Articles

  1. A Phnom Penh Cambodia Tour Guide to all that Makes This City Unique

    Jun 04, 20 04:09 AM

    The attraction to Phnom Penh has always been the freedom, the 50 cent beers, the warm weather, the beaches and the low cost of living

    Continue Reading

  2. Every Cambodia Embassy on the Planet with Location and Contact Info

    May 29, 20 11:07 PM

    The location and contact information for every Cambodia Embassy or Consulate on The Planet

    Continue Reading

  3. The Location of Every Vietnam Embassy Worldwide with Contact Info

    May 28, 20 10:38 PM

    A List of each Vietnam Embassy in the World and How to contact them

    Continue Reading

  4. The Cu Chi Tunnels and the 'Tunnels Rats'

    May 28, 20 08:22 PM

    We visit the Cu Chi Tunnels, just outside Saigon, to marvel at the engineered home to the Viet Cong during the Vietnam war

    Continue Reading

  5. The Best Vietnam Beaches known to Humans

    May 17, 20 03:29 PM

    Many Vietnam Beaches are fishing villages. We visit every beach from South to North Vietnam

    Continue Reading

  6. The Vietnam Train Stations and the Vietnam Train Schedules

    May 17, 20 04:55 AM

    Vietnam Train Stations; their locations, and their schedules

    Continue Reading

  7. The Most Complete Vietnam Travel Guide on the Web

    May 16, 20 04:17 PM

    Our Vietnam travel page offers more insider secrets than anywhere else with regular updates for people planning to visit and those planning to live there

    Continue Reading

  8. Victory Beach in Sihanoukville, Cambodia is a Good Choice

    May 16, 20 11:59 AM

    Victory Beach does not have the most stunning beaches or Waters, but it is a Gem of Variety and Peace of Mind

    Continue Reading

  9. How Big is Angkor Wat Gets Answered

    May 10, 20 12:00 PM

    How big is Angkor Wat is a good question with an answer that will shock you

    Continue Reading

  10. The Shanghai Subway and Shanghai Metro System

    May 09, 20 10:48 AM

    The Shanghai Subway system is the only way to get around Shanghai

    Continue Reading